Sunday, January 5, 2014

Voices

Voices


A midnight walk to and from my local store
hearing voices that seem to quickly follow
while the clouds pull back on an everlasting walk
it began to pour
contemplating on night or day
i wish it were tomorrow
darkness overcomes
while street lamps illuminate
for life's worst nightmare has come alive
i have walked too far like a lined stranded bait
scared to breathe as though a thriller ride
should not i be afraid to die
what taunts these sudden fears is not for my eyes to see
hearing the moans and the cries like a long lost lullaby
my hope is all that is left
and is the key to set me free
lonesome winds turn to cold skies
which have all of a sudden left my mouth dry
my mind plays tricks in disguise to be complete
wishes turn to curses in the vast open desert
dying slowly
while my thoughts travel fast
in these past few days
seconds feel like hours
while i experience hurt
looking at myself
while my flesh was no more
i shed a tear
for every forgotten fear
distant
but still aware
i watch closely
and slowly begin to wave
for it is over
and so am i
life gone
in a blink of an eye


By Jonathan Grant McElroy
Scrambled Ink

No comments:

Post a Comment